Kochi – a quaint little town with tiny islands and peninsulas fringing the coastline of the Arabian Sea and brimming with deep-rooted historical significance is a lovely sight for the eyes with its houseboats and Chinese fishing nets.
Here’s my list of things to do in Kochi to make your stay in God’s own Country a heavenly experience.
Things to do in Kochi
- Unwind with a breath-taking village backwater cruise and watch and learn how coir ropes are made
- Catch a glimpse of Cochin’s popular Chinese Fishing Nets with the sunset in the backdrop.
- Go for a spa or Kerala Ayurvedic massage at Taj Malabar Resort, Kochi’s Jiva Spa to soothe your senses
- Go fishing on a rice boat at Dolphin’s Bay
- Binge on a selection of grilled food and signature cocktails at the Dolphin’s Point
- Buy fresh catch from the local fisherman at Fort Kochi and get them to prepare a meal in local style
- Take a break from local cuisine and fulfill your cravings for Thai and Chinese at The Pavilion restaurant or indulge in some Mediterranean, North Indian and Italian cuisine at The Pepper restaurant at Taj Malabar Resort and Spa
- Visit Mattancherry Palace that serves as an art gallery for India’s best art murals and paintings showcasing Ramayan and other Puranic legends
- Watch Kathakali, a popular classical dance form at Kochi’s Kerala Kathakali Centre. If you are lucky you can even watch artists in their fascinating costumes applying makeup.
- Stroll through the Jew Town for spice shopping and don’t forget to buy pepper
- Visit Saint Francis Church where Vasco da Gama was once buried before his remains were taken to Lisbon
Travelling to Kochi
Kochi has its own airport – Cochin International Airport – with direct flights from most major metros. It is a major railway junction for trains. Local transport can be done via rickshaws and private car. Bikes and cycles can be rented easily from the Fort Kochi promenade.
Where to stay in Kochi
The Taj Malabar Resort hotel in Kochi is a 45 km drive from the airport and a 20 minute drive from the nearest railway station – Ernakulam South. Nestled on Willingdon Island, with the harbour in view, Taj Malabar Resort & Spa, Cochin enthralls you as you look out towards the boundless horizon. Soak in this fishing town’s exquisite beauty with a stay at this luxury property with all the modern conveniences while staying true to its old world heritage. The rooms of this resort in Kerala provide an envious view of the sea. A favourite with the guests of this 5 star hotel in Kerala is the open-air dining aboard a private yacht in Kochi’s tranquil waters. Making it worth a well-deserving meditative break – call it a do-nothing holiday.
- Check the latest accommodation prices in Kochi on Booking.com or Agoda
- Looking for travel gear, packing essentials and books to read on your trip, visit Amazon
- Need guidance to plan your Kochi trip? I’m here to help. Write to me
Subscribe to this blog to receive my quarterly newsletter with cool travel stories, updates and deals and discounts in your inbox